January 2018, a new album, "Crime", by Penguins Too will be released. The duo formerly known as "Two Penguins In The Desert" was founded in 1987 to play at Frank's aand Michiel's finals at the conservatory, more specifically to play the Lennie Tristano tune "Wow". The cooperation felt very comfortable and the duo continued to play for 16 years, specializing in cool jazz and the "hotter" bebop tunes, resulting in its first album "Jazzs". After a sabbatical between 2003 and 2017, the duo currently focusses on music written for or associated with crime films and television series, such as the twelve tone music from the 1974 movie "The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three", Ennio Morricone's music from the television series "La Piovra", the main title of "Narcos", Duke Ellington's "Anatomy of a Murder". All these pieces, plus a Chopin prelude, a Misha tune and several duo improvisations will be issued as a suite. Visit our shop page to hear samples of the mentioned tracks.
NOPERA is not really an opera. It combines references to opera with a lot of improvisation.
The performance consists of a series of compositions that serve as elements with which to build the whole piece, which can be structured in a different way every time. The libretto is written in a fantasy language, which the singers can use in any way they want.
The compositions may appear in every possible shape, sometimes slow and very soft, sometimes fast and wild. They can be interrupted, evolve into an improvisation or into another composition, or just be ignored. Working like this gives the singers and musicians the chance to develop their own ideas, to tell their own story, and to give a different direction to the concert every time.
- Lucia Meeuwsen is a classically trained mezzo soprano, who is very well known in classical and contemporary music.
- Vera Westera is familiar with many different musical genres, from pop music to jazz.
- Sean Bergin (1948 - 2012) was mainly known as saxophonist and bandleader, but he liked to sing as well. In his work one can hear the musical traditions of his native country South-Africa and the home of his ancestors: Ireland.
- Zapp4 is Jörg Brinkmann cello, Jasper Le Clercq violin, Oene van Geel, violin, viola Friedmar Hitzer viola, violin. Zapp4 is an extraordinary string quartet. To the classical string quartet tradition Zapp adds percussion techniques and a groovy way of playing, which enables them to sound like a heavy rock band, a bulgarian folkgroup or a bebopping jazz band.
- Trio BraamDeJoodeVatcher is Michiel Braam piano, Wilbert de Joode double bass, Michael Vatcher drums. The band comprises three of the Dutch jazz scene’s most idiosyncratic musicians. They all play an absolutely equal role in the music, which can go in any which way, depending on decisions made on the spot.